In our last few articles, we’ve been talking about the types of digital marketing from email marketing to search engine optimization and so on. In this article, we’ll be focusing on content marketing, which is a very important type of marketing we all need to know.
Content marketing is a type of marketing that is used to attract, engage and retain an audience by creating and sharing relevant articles, podcasts, videos, and other media. This type of marketing involves the creation and sharing of online materials such as blogs, social media posts, and videos and is intended to generate leads.
A well-written copy drives sales so useful content should be at the core of your marketing. It includes things like e-book, videos, educational articles, and webinars. By creating relevant and valuable content, you have the opportunity to attract and retain customers.
Just as we have different types of digital marketing, we also have different types of content marketing and they include:
- Social media posts
- Tools/quizzes and more
To drive traffic to your website, you need to have useful content which is what your audience is waiting for – to read from you and find value!
The gap between where you are and where you wish to be is bred by VALUE!
Popular influencers on Instagram and Tiktok all use the same technique to connect with their audience and it’s called content marketing. Because of their large following and influence, they earn in various currencies by marketing their content in creative ways.
How does it work?
1. Decide on your Content-type:
The first step is to decide on the kind of content you want to create and you can do that by doing the following:
- Choose a format ideal for your niche: It could be a video content, graphics, picture or podcast. You need to know what works best for you and your brand.
- Know what your audience wants: do they like listening to podcasts when they are driving or resting? Do they spend their nights watching YouTube videos? Do they spend most of their time on LinkedIn? You need to be in their minds to know what they want. You can check Reddit, Hangouts, or Facebook groups to know what they are consuming and to know how to serve them better.
- Do not do more than you can: while it seems like you can start a YouTube channel, you can also feel like you starting a podcast. Remember to work within your capacity so you wouldn’t get burnt out.
2. What platform do you want to use:
Like I’ve mentioned earlier, there are different platforms for different purposes with different content types. How do you want to serve your content? Do you want to make videos? Use YouTube. Are you focusing on written content? Then, you should start your blog posts and post them on Medium or LinkedIn. Are you publishing cooking tips? Then Instagram could be your go-to.
The main thing is to share your content where your target audience is. Regardless of your industry, you should always approach Google for your content marketing.
3. The divide and conquer approach:
Even though you might want to focus on a particular channel, it’s necessary to learn how to introduce your content to other platforms. However, to do that, you must have learned from those who have used such platforms or those that are currently using it. Once you’ve figured out that format, you can launch into another format and it goes on and on.
4. Repurpose your content:
It’s great to have your content in different formats but you don’t have to copy it all because each format has its limit. For instance, you can convert your articles into videos or ebooks, a video into a podcast, an article into a presentation, etc. Note that by doing this, you’re spreading your wings across other channels hereby offering value to your audience.
Content marketing is a very important form of digital marketing. It helps you offer value to your audienece and connect with them. There are websites to learn content marketing and elevate your brand to the next level.