By : ODUYEMI OLUWAFERANMI
HEALTHY TIPS FOR RAMANDAN FAST.
Ramadan is a time of spiritual growth. It is a time the Muslims all around the world connect more deeply with their religion, reflect on themselves and fast. In fact, when it comes to Ramadan, Fasting is sacred.
Fasting during Ramadan can improve one’s health but only if it’s done or practiced in the right manner. It involves not eating food or drinking water between sunrise and sunset.
Fasting during this period can be done safely if you follow due precautions especially for those with certain medical conditions.
Here are some helpful tips for you to ensure you stay in good health throughout the Ramadan fast.
- Stay Hydrated: It is important you drink fluids mostly before you break your fast to prevent dehydration. Not drinking enough water can result to poor mood and increased tiredness and it can affect your energy levels. It has been discovered that staying hydrated lowers appetite which can be helpful for the fast. Also, it can be helpful to pay attention to the foods you’re eating, try to choose foods with high water contents. You can include fruits and vegetables to your evening meals. Fruits such as watermelons, cucumber, tomatoes, pineapple are highly recommended.
- Be Portion Conscious: Ramadan isn’t a one day event; it’s a month- long event. While braking of fast is a big deal, eating heavily may not be the best idea. It takes the body about 20 minutes to register that it’s had enough to eat. Not eating the whole day and feeling hungry can cause overeating which is very common. This may lead to morning tiredness and weight gain over the month. That’s why it is recommended that before eating the main meal you should eat some fruits and drink water as it would help you not to overeat. Eating mindfully and pay attention to when your hunger is actually satisfied is very key.
- Avoid foods high in fat, sodium and sugar: Heavy meals that contain lots of saturated fat, sodium and sugar should be avoided strategically. Instead of preparing fried meals, try baking, stewing, grilling, roasting and steaming. Use more of spices and herbs for your food flavors rather than using salt. Also, reach out for healthy piece of fruit that contains natural sugars than candies, cakes or baked goods that have refined sugar or artificial sweeteners.
- Engage in Mild Exercise Routine: During the first few days of fasting, it’s likely you feel fatigued. So, don’t push yourself too hard, instead try a milder impact exercise routine. You could try walking or a very light jogging. Try the exercise just after the sun sets and right before dawn.
- Make Time to plan your meals: Planning your meals and Ramadan recipes ahead will help you to be organized during this month, maximize your energy and give you ample time to choose a variety of foods and healthy recipes to nourish your body.
Don’t forget that these tips can be applied whenever you want to fast.
Kindly share this with friends and family.
Have a Healthy and great Ramadan!!
Follow the writer of this piece on Instagram @FEARANMI_COOKS