LinkedIn is an American business and employment-oriented online service, that operates via websites and mobile apps. Launched on May 5, 2003, it is a social network specifically designed,
for career and business professionals to connect.
LinkedIn started out in the living room of co-founder Reid Hoffman, and the site
officially launched on May 5, 2003. Reid has previously been on the board of Google, Ebay, and
PayPal, so had a proven track record before taking the first round of funding, and eventually
floating on the New York stock exchange.
Since December 2016 it has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft. As of June 2019, LinkedIn had 630 million registered members in 150 countries with more than 260 million
monthly active users.
A social networking app.
- Find jobs and apply using your LinkedIn profile and/or resume.
- Keep your LinkedIn profile up to date as a virtual resume highlighting your experiences.
- Social networking for businesses. Showcase your company or products to find new
THE ‘DON’T’s ON LINKEDIN
• Don’t post complaints about your current or former boss, colleagues, or company.
• Never post anything with spelling mistakes.
• Don’t publicize your job search.
A SHORT STORY ON HOW LINKEDIN HELPED ME
Of course, like every other person, I put up my resume on my account hoping for the best,
though I never thought of getting a job during that period, but fortunately for me, someone looked
through my profile and contacted me, telling me about a vacant position of a content creator for
their organization, I applied and was chosen to work with them.
Just like that? No, it isn’t just like that. I did the right thing by putting up my resume for recruiters
to see, and I also updated it as at when due so, the opportunity didn’t pass me by at that
There are jobs waiting for you out there, if only you could do the right thing.
Get a LinkedIn app and update your profile today!
Written by Temitope Olubiire